Whether you want to write a memoir, science fiction, romance novels, poetry, or a DIY series, writing — just like singing, painting or any other kind of creative making — means you’re doing something that is brand new, something that requires you and your voice alone.
What most writers will tell you is that there’s no magic formula to get your project off the ground or even get started. This workshop is designed to help you get through that first door, and start believing you have a story, a book, a voice that deserves to be heard.
6 weekly group sessions and 1 individual session starting September 18.
1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
This class is designed for 6 participants, maximum.
If you’ve always wanted to write, but:
- someone told you that you weren’t very creative;
- you always studied math or science in school;
- someone else always tells the stories in the family, and you feel like you can’t do it as well;
- you feel like your life hasn’t been very interesting;
- someone told you that you didn’t know how to punctuate or write a proper sentence;
- someone told you that you didn’t know how to read a story very well;
- you feel like you don’t have enough education;
- . . . you can fill in the blank!
What you’ll learn:
- how to understand and leverage your individual writing process,
- how expressive arts (using images, color, and movement) can help you overcome blocks and make you a better, more confident writer,
- how to use some of the tricks that let writers tiptoe around fear and silence the dreaded inner critic (at least for awhile),
- what writing means for you (probably not what you think it does!),
- what’s holding you back and what to do with that,
- what you want to write instead of what you think you should write, and
- how to tell a story that someone else wants to read (even your kids!).
- At the end of the six weeks, you’ll have a plan for yourself and your writing — and it will probably look very different from another writer’s plan.
How it works:
- We’ll meet for 2.5 hours weekly — and the limit on the workshop size is 6 — so there’s plenty of space and time to breathe and get to know one another.
- I’ll comment on everything you submit as part of the class — be assured that in this workshop, you’ll receive direct, personal, and detailed feedback designed to help you grow in your own writing style and approach.
- While there’s no prescription or requirement for writing a certain number of words, or pages, between sessions, remember that comments will be richer with more submitted materials!
- Prompts and suggestions are offered help you get going, or help you focus, and we’ll work with actual writing pages and drafts in sessions.
- You share as much as you want to — and that can be nothing at all.
- Between our workshop sessions, you’ll think, write, and do all those things writers do to avoid writing or to write something completely unrelated to their project … I’m a firm believer that all of those activities are essential parts of our unique creative processes.
- You’ll have 1 individual coaching session with me during the six week period. Additional individual sessions are available at a discounted rate.
What this workshop won’t do:
- It won’t give you a finished product, ready to publish.
- It won’t address how to find an agent or plan a marketing or book tour.
- We won’t talk about how to write a best-seller — that’s for follow-on discussions!
Questions? Wondering if this is right for you? I’d love to talk with you about your ideas and frustrations for your project. Send me an email and we can set up a time to talk!